Friday, May 11, 2007

Help save Manny Amaral's business from gov't seizure

By: Steven Lonegan

Dramatic Online Video to Stop Eminent Domain Abuse Against NJ Family Business

Citizens Urged to Make Urgent Call to Corzine to Stop Abuse

HARRISON, NJ - The New Jersey chapter of the national free-market group Americans for Prosperity today released a dramatic online video chronicling a wrongful eminent domain case that could lead to the eviction on Tuesday of Manny Amaral and his family from their successful auto dealership - just so the city government can transfer their property to private condo developers.

Manny and Fran Amaral came to the United States from Portugal more than 30 years ago in search of a better life and the American Dream. In the years since, the Amarals have worked hard, paid their taxes, played by the rules, and ultimately achieved that American Dream. Today they own Aramal Auto
Sales in Harrison, NJ, with their two sons. But now the city government is planning to seize the Amaral's property so a big, politically-connected developer can knock down their successful small family business and build condos as part of a risky development scheme.

If a well-managed, successful dealership full of BMWs, Cadillacs, Lexuses, Audis, Mercedes, and even Lamborghinis can be declared 'blight,' condemned and taken by the government under an abusive and wrongful claim on 'eminent domain,' then anybody's property can be condemned.





AFP's online video includes an urgent call for viewers to contact New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine and their state lawmakers and features emotional pleas from Manny and Fran Amaral in front of the Statue of Liberty, which Mrs. Amaral passed on a ship from Portugal as an eight-year-old girl coming to America for the first time.

"I remember seeing the Statue, and my sister...turned to me and said, "We are in America!" with a big smile on her face, and we both hugged...and said "Yes! Finally!" Mrs. Amaral explains in the video. "But now I look at this Statue, and it brings me tears."

"Some people (back in Portgual) have the wrong idea about America, and I always defend this country with all my heart and with all my love," Manny Amaral said. "Now I have very mixed feelings because I believed in all the things that I've been told and I've read and I've seen about freedom in the country, but the last couple of years I've seen a side of this country that I can't believe is going on. This is a nightmare..."

Call Governor Corzine and help save Manny's American Dream: 609-292-6000