Thursday, April 10, 2008

China and the Summer Olympics

I’m a fan of the Olympic Games. My family and I look forward to watching individuals from all over the world compete for the gold in Beijing, China. I am always proud of our nation’s athletes; they have worked tirelessly for the chance to participate. But recently I’m extremely frustrated with the Chinese government’s detestable human rights decisions.

I believe it is horrific that China supports Sudan’s genocidal regime, persecutes citizens for practicing religion, and denies basic freedoms to their own people. These oppressive actions must be stopped.

I recently signed onto HR 5668, a bill that would require President Bush and other American politicians to boycott the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. I believe this sends a crucial message to China, and other nations—the United States will not tolerate oppressive actions that prohibit freedom. This bill does not punish the athletes who have spent hours upon hours training for various events. And it does not prohibit them from competing.

For the victims in China, I hope President Bush hears us.

Rep. Scott Garrett represents the 5th district of New Jersey.